Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Have I gone too far?? Now What??


Is this too much?








I'm stuck. This is what we artist call being blocked. But you don't sit around saying "Oh dear. I'm a little blocked today. No worries! I'll just get on with life, pay the bills, clean up, buy groceries, trim the cat's claws, then I'm sure in a couple of hours I'll have a brilliant idea!!"



Crap - that's not right either!!






No your thought process is something along the lines of "Oh, god! Why did I agree to do this job? I'm a total hack! I'll never have a good/artistic/original/creative thought again! Can I back out? Can I pretend I forgot I agreed to do it? can I leave the country? Can I say the dog ate it?!"

It seems to be part of the process. I work with out a net, so to speak. I have and idea and just start. It builds and I get excited and I'm lovin' it! The piece practically designs itself..for a time. Then I manage to create myself into a corner and can't figure out how to get our of it. So I panic, I curse my empty mind, I curse the artwork, and why did I ever staqrt doing this 12 years ago anyway....

But then I breathe, let it sit for a few days and resume. Thing perculate, I stop obsessing, then it gets fun again. So now I am breathing and cleaning and otherwise distracting myself.

No comments: